Sunday, July 19, 2015

Hi, My Name is Romdre, and I'm a Junkie



It's been a while since the last post. Any particular reason? Not really. Mostly laziness. And Alone. If you don't watch it on History Channel, you probably should punch yourself in the giblets.

Either way, I started this blog off as a way to review many of the products, gyms, and programs that I try out, so I figured I'd begin with the blogs namesake, the Junk Headband.

As a bit of introduction, I came from a background playing basketball, so all I ever used to work out in were cut off shirts. At first, this produced some disastrous results. Many a shirt were prone to the nip...not so much slip, but all-out onslaught of areola. Eventually I got the hang of it, but that left me with an abundance of useless shirt sleeves. What was I going to do? Such resources must not be simply discarded away like some $2 hooker. So I started using them as a headband to mop up some of the gallons of sweat I produced at the gym. I also could coordinate them with my daily attire, keeping my rep up as the closest thing to fashionable one can be at the gym. I mean, not as cool as weightlifters, but still pretty baller.

These makeshift sweat shields did come with some drawbacks. For one, the cotton was not the best at wicking away sweat. There was a point of diminishing returns, similar to the hot-crazy scale, where we had diminishing returns. And, as I mentioned before, I sweat a lot (lines back there ladies). So within minutes of the warmup, I'd already be in what I'd call a perspiration crescendo, creating as many problems as it was meant to solve. Further, cleanup of these things was gross. They held onto the foul odors harder than a child holding onto an animal (the animal is obvi thinking "Dafuq bro?").

Then I came across the Junk Headband. I don't remember if I found them or they found me, but it was a match made in heaven. I needed something to help with keeping my sweat to myself, and they needed people to give them money. Win-win (win)!

The headbands themselves are made of "Pro Sport Jersey fabric," which is just a fancy was of saying stretchy nylon. Originally made only in solid colors, the bands now sport various motifs (some are made to look like traditional bandanas, others with animal themes, USA styles, as well as NBA and NCAA team versions) to suit just about everyone's tastes. The most basic style they offer is a tie version that is similar in shape and style to a folded over bandana, however they also have a full "sleeve-like" variety known named infinity, big bang, and big bang lite, signifying thickness of the band.

In terms of performance, the headbands never move from their place during WODs and do a great job of keeping sweat out of my eyes. Most of the moisture wicks away and leaves me free from having to worry about it impacting my times or lifts. Cleanup is a snap, as I usually just run it through water and leave it hanging in my locker, where it would be ready for use by the next day. I can usually get about 2-3 uses before they begin getting that "a little past due date" smell, but that usually doesn't become a problem due to the sheer number of headbands I own (currently around 25).

As for price, they tend to be a little steep for something so simple, ranging from about $10-12 for sale items, and full price versions at $16-18, depending on who Junk teams with to market (Reebok for example has their name on a few versions which cost more due to licensing the TM). For the regular person, five headbands comprising of a few basic colors and possibly a specialty one they really like would be more than enough. For those of us "needing" to keep our fashion game on point (or those with shopping addictions), you really never can have enough.

Junk also has clothing that is for the most part on par with most other CF inspired clothing brands, has recently started making wrist bands inspired by the headbands, and is soon coming out with a collection of Junk socks, a market I think is sorely in need of help.* The bands are now on sale, and the socks are allegedly making their debut at this years CrossFit Games. And yes, I'm getting a pair.

Are there cheaper alternatives for a pretty insignificant problem in the grand scheme of things? Of course. Does that mean I won't continue to buy them as I see more that I like? No way Jose. The Junk headband does a great job as a functional and aesthetic part of my daily workout. And for that, we thank them.





*Sidebar: I usually only workout in Nike Elite basketball socks. They are super comfortable and breathe really well. I also have other Nike socks that I use, but the hoops socks are the best. The problem with CF socks is that they are, in my opinion, too thin. Traditional shoes, such as the Nano and oly lifters, don't have a ton of cushioning or are made to be very hard to create a platform. Most CF socks are more about the style than the performance. Hylete, which I'll review later, had one of the worst socks I've ever worn. Maybe I'm just used to the finer things. And when it comes to my shoes, I need the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment